Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Catch-up and an update

So here we are, just over a month into this journey and I am losing momentum. I have seen progress and am excited about it but then I see the numbers and am confused. I crave protein and salt. The salt is what is killing me I am sure. I am retaining so much water I feel like a slushy mess. This week my goal has been to LOWER my sodium intake and see what  happens. I am still feeling like I am fighting those around me in this but all I can focus on right now is my life and the influence I have on my daughter. Hopefully people will see from my example and follow, I can only hope.

The first time I had my measurements taken was May 2,2011 the second time was just a month after that on June 1,2011 and the results are as followed.

June 1,2011
Total weight: 267
Body Fat: 38.5
Body Fat Weight: 102.8
Lean Weight: 164.3
Water Weight: 122.2
Protein Weight: 42.1
Triceps Skinfold: 40.2
Supraillium Skinfold: 33.9     Waist Circum 37 in
Thigh Skinfold: 43.3            
Hips: 51.5


May 2,2011
Total Weight:277
Body Fat:37.7
Lean Weight:172.6
Water Weight: 128.4
Protein: 44.2
Tricep: 42.7
Suprailium: 28.5               Waist Circum:  40.5 in
Thigh: 42.7
Hips 56in
OK so the numbers don't look bad for the most part. I lost 3.6% of my weight over 4 weeks. I think I can do better but that is what I got. My hips lost 4.5 INCHES! and my waist lost 3.5 INCHES. These numbers are progress but what confuses me is the fact that my body fat went up 2.1% as did my suprailium skin-fold (my stomach) and my thigh skin-fold(my thigh obviously) How am I losing weight but gaining fat. I hate the days I am discouraged. I hate not having a workout buddy. I hate being depressed. It is up to me to change this cycle. I am doing the best I can. We are weighing in tonight in my class so wish me luck. Share some encouragement and send your friends this way! I would love some more readers. Off to finish house work so I don't feel as guilty going to the gym tonight.

7 comments:

  1. First, don't EVER feel guilty for taking care of yourself! I know it's easier said than done, but at least try. ;) I'm curious how they are measuring your body fat? I can't imagine it would go up unless you are starving yourself so your body is holding on to the fat for dear life. LOL! Do you feel better than you did before? More energy? Happier? Better self esteem? I've been working out for 2 months now, 2 hrs a day, 3 days a week. I've lost maybe 1 pound. It's discouraging when you don't have that proof or positive progress. But keep track of the little things. How you feel and your energy level. How you look in your clothes! :D You are doing a great job! Keep it up! I wish I could be your workout buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure that your drinking tons of water! Whenever I don't see a big change on the scale I see a change in my inches and how my clothes are fitting. You're doing awesome! Eat lots of protein and make sure your eating enough. Your body could go into starvation mode and then want to keep all of those calories your trying to work off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had my work out buddy and I need to update my blog as well... all I can say you are a huge inspiration to me! I love how I can call you and ask questions about your success. You are amazing and you truely keep me going.. not working out this week is killing me but also nice so my body can relax! Keep us posted! Love you sis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't get discouraged by the fat part I think it's because of the weight you've lost and can be normal but I'd ask your weight loss leader or someone those numbers are awesome though to loose inches and 10 plus pounds! Your inspiring to me too I've been trying to be healthier and doing better too but the last few days ive gotten back into some bad habits! Reading your blog helps me want to work on not getting in those habits more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you have a relatively high body fat percentage, readings can actually be very inaccurate, so don't stress about that one-it seems impossible.

    Also, hang in there with your 0-I've been at it 6 months, and only down 10 pounds now, but all my zero pounds had awesome inch loss-which is really what we want anyway, right? Keep building the muscle (which will make it seem like your not losing) and be satisfied with it-more muscle burns more calories!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys SO much for the encouragement. It means the world today. Every day is a new day and it is up to me to make today better then yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so proud of you! Just remember that you're not on a "diet" but you're starting a new life and changing who you are so it takes time and baby steps to learn how to live that way. You're doing great - it doesn't matter where you are, but where you're going and you're going in the right direction! p.s. If you need a salty snack, one serving of homemade popcorn with a small amount of salt is much more healthy than chips or whatever. Or maybe an apple in a little salt water? Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete